The first association, which comes to mind when talking about Turabian style of essay that this is a special kind of papers which was developed by Latino-American tribes for making modern students’ lives difficult. But, on the contrary, it was developed to ease their lives. And, by the way, creators are not the natives of American lands. An inventor of the Turabian’s style paper is Kate Turabian, the woman who worked for many years as a dissertation secretary at the University of Chicago. Turabian Style is a special kind of papers, which is used for historical papers (in most of occasions), but there are several exceptions.
The aim of Turabian style writing
Turabian understood that students are engaged in writing papers, she decided to narrow standards of a paradigmatic Chicago Style scholarly books and clarified rules concretely for paper writing. The proposed, by Kate, Turabian style largely neglects most of information that is relating to publishing. Everything is easy if a phrase or a piece of text is necessary and needs to be cited, your aim is to show its origin. Miss Turabian comes to help you with this activity.
Turabian systems of writing
Turabian Style gives writers an opportunity to choose one of possible systems of making reference to information. In other words, there are two methods, which you are able to use: notes-bibliography style (or simply bibliography style) and author-date style (sometimes called reference list style). These styles are in essence the same as their relatives presented in The Chicago Manual of Style, seventeenth edition. But, of course, there are small changes that pursue student writers’ needs. But, do not even try to be the smartest guy in the school and combine both methods in one formless mixture. Just choose the one and do your bests for a perfect performance.
- Notes-Bibliography Method
In this method, students use footnotes in the text and a bibliography at the end of a paper.
This style is used in such subjects as literature, history, and art. It goes without saying that bibliographic method is used to represent core bibliographic facts in endnotes and in the bibliography as well.
The examples of Notes-Bibliography Method in selective quotations:
- Gladwell, Malcolm. The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference. Boston: Little, Brown, 2000. (one author)
- Lattimore, Richmond, trans. The Iliad of Homer. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1951. (editor or translator instead of author)
- Wilkerson, Isabel. The Warmth of Other Suns: The Epic Story of America’s Great Migration. New York: Vintage, 2010. Kindle. (electronically published)
- publicist pieces of writing
- Lepore, Jill. “Dickens in Eden.” New Yorker, August 29, 2011. (magazine article)
- Bumiller, Elisabeth, and Thom Shanker. “Pentagon Lifts Ban on Women in Combat.” New York Times, January 23, 2013. Accessed January 24, 2013. (newspaper article – running text)
- Becker, Gary. “Is Capitalism in Crisis?” The Becker-Posner Blog, February 12, 2012. Accessed February 16, 2012. (in running text)
In this method, students use in-text quotations (which are similar to the used in Chicago Manual Style papers). It’s worth to note that such docs also contain a reference list of used papers.
A standardized author-date style is used in physical, natural, and social fields. In order to this system, sources are in brief quoted in brackets by author’s last name and date of publication. Mentioned citations are viewed in the list of links, where full bibliographic information is provided.
Besides references mentioned in brackets in the text, both notes-bibliography and author-date methods are similar to each other.
The examples of Author-Date Method in selective quotations (info placed in brackets):
- (Morey and Yaqin 2011, 52)
- (Ramirez 2010, 231)
3. (Kurland and Lerner 1987, chap. 10, doc. 19)
- publicist pieces of writing
- (Bogren 2011, 156)
- (Brown 2011, 752)
- (Lepore 2011, 52)
(Bumiller and Shanker 2013)
Turabian essay-writing tips
- Bear in mind the foot- and endnotes. Footnotes are situated at the bottom of the page and in numerical order. Talking about endnotes, they are inserted at the end of a whole text in the similar to footnotes way.
- Following a quotation appears a reference, which is numbered by Arabic figure written in superscript.
- Using the note the first time, you have to mention all necessary information about this passage, starting from a publication information and an author’s name and finishing by the page number, where the citation was taken.
- The bibliography includes sources quoted or referred to in your paper, put in alphabetical order.
- If there are two or more authors, you have to mention a name of the first one.
All in all, a peculiarity that characterizes Turabian Style and makes it not similar to MLA is a use of footnotes. This tiny detail is just a thing which professors want to see in your paper.
Don’t forget that you need to use particularly this or that style, for they differ rather considerably from other formatting variants, and last-minute alterations may become a real nuisance.
Make everything possible to use correct formatting from the stage of writing drafts. It’s worth to write down all sources you take as a basis of your research to prevent yourself from forgetting important facts.